Saturday, March 26, 2011

Jews' Shoes

Deuteronomy 29:5
"And I have led you forty years in the wilderness.
Your clothes have not worn out on you, 
and your sandals have not worn out on your feet."

We have two vehicles: a '98 Dodge Caravan with 232,000 miles on it and a 2002 Chevy Suburban with 199,000 miles on it. So......what does that have to do with the sandals in Deuteronomy 29:5?

Recently as I drove the Caravan (which is not my preferred vehicle!!!), the Lord brought Deuteronomy 29:5 to my mind. Just like the Jews' shoes did not wear out in their journey through the wilderness, this old Dodge just keeps going. My husband, the optimist in the family, always says "It hasn't let me down yet," when I worry about him taking it on a trip longer than just the 3 miles to work! 

The reason God favored the wandering Israelites with sandals that did not wear out is stated in the next verse:
Deuteronomy 29:6b ".... that you may know that I am the LORD your God." He wanted them to know He was their God, a capable, loving, enabling, maintaining God. A gracious God. He knew there were no sandal shops in the wilderness. He knew their funds were limited. He foresaw the problem and took care of it for them. One less thing to worry about! 

And so, even though this Caravan is not my favorite car to drive, I am truly thankful that God keeps it running and running and running. I know, Lord, you are Lord even over the purple minivan in our driveway. You are God!


No comments:

Post a Comment