Friday, April 22, 2011

Prayers on Easter

Christ in Easter – A Family Celebration of Holy Week by Charles Colson, Billy Graham, Max Lucado, and Joni Earechson Tada. This book I read a few years ago; it covers each day from Palm Sunday through Easter Sunday and includes lessons, readings, poems, songs and activities for each day to better help family members understand the significance of the events of the Easter story. One of the articles in the book gave each of the Lord’s seven statements while He was upon the cross and gave a personal prayers based upon each statement. For my own personal Bible time, I took this concept and applied it to my own life as a mother of five children. Hopefully it will be a blessing to you as well as you pray these prayers for your own children and for yourself.

“Father, forgive them;
For they know not what they do.”
Luke 23:34a

Lord, help me to teach my children to be meek, to refrain from lashing out in retaliation to those who hurt them, to be still when others wrong them, to forgive as He forgave. Ephesians 4:31-32

“Verily, I say unto thee,
Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.”
Luke 23:43

Lord, thank you that my children came to accept your give of eternal salvation at an early age and that they received forgiveness for their sins with simple, child-like faith. Help them to tell others of your boundless forgiveness. Luke 18:15 – 17

He said unto his mother,
“Woman, behold they son!”
He said to this disciple,
“Behold thy mother!”

Lord, even when I’m hurting or sad, open my eyes and my heart to the needs of others, especially my husband and children. Proverbs 31:20; I John 3:16 – 18

“My God, my God,
Why hast thou forsaken me?”
Matthew 27:46

Lord, help my children to know that sometimes there are questions beyond our feeble understanding, and to know an almighty, sovereign God Who can be totally and completely trusted. Isaiah 55:8 – 9

“I thirst."
John 19:28

Lord, you were fully God, yet you full experienced the pain and limitations of humanity. May my children take their heartaches and troubles to You, knowing that You intimately understand. Hebrews 4:14 – 16

“It is finished.”
John 19:30

Lord, your redemption work at Calvary gives me absolute assurance of my eternal salvation. I pray that my children will have utmost confidence in the sure salvation they receive from you instead of wandering through life in doubt. Hebrews 10:10 – 12

“Father, into your hands
I commend my spirit.”
Luke 23:46

Lord, this is my prayer for my life and the lives of my children: Take my love – my God, I pour. At Thy feet its treasure store; Take myself – and I will be ever, only, all for Thee; ever, only all for Thee. (words by Frances R. Havergal, 1836 – 1879).

No comments:

Post a Comment